Monday 19 August 2013

Barn Girl Appoints a Builder for Barn Conversion

STOP PRESS.....STOP PRESS......STOP PRESS.....STOP PRESS......STOP PRESS.....STOP PRESS......

Well, I've done it. I've appointed a builder for my barn conversion.

After the shock of the preliminary tender results, something had to be done. I met with Archie (Architect), and went through my original plans and full building spec, to see what I could feasible trim and omit. Ugh.

Apart from my definite keepers - solar slate tiles, Air Source Heat Pump, glass sliding doors and oak cladding, I was pretty brave and scythed my way through my gorgeous full spec. But, with one request, that all my original ideas could be incorporated at a later date.

So, my double set of floating, cantilevered stairs, will be replaced for the time being, with a modest, single direction, softwood staircase, but with all the metal plates made ready for the day I can bring the floating, oak stairs to life. Same with the fireplace and Aga; same for my mood lighting and fancy controls, they will have to wait too.

By the way, if you're interested in renewable energy or the Green Deal, I found the Energy Saving Trust website and their staff contacts very helpful. It's minefield but worth looking at the pay back and return on investment, feed-in tariffs and all the things you need to have in place to qualify.

Barn Girl's barn conversion is due to start any day!

Love
Barn Girl





No comments:

Post a Comment