Thursday 3 October 2013

Day 3 - Naked Barn

After several hours recording a 3,600 word voice over on Derivatives, I decided to get some fresh air and pay The Barn Boys a visit. Armed with my DSLR and a tin of rock cakes and flapjacks (natch), I arrived on site to find my barn stripped bare, but for the corrugated roof!

If it hadn't been another warm Autumn afternoon, the rotting timbers behind the cladding would have surely shivered in their fragile state; the cosy, straw-packed walls were gone.


Stripped



Bedroom Wall and Door

Is that really my bedroom?

More crushed concrete arrives



Manon des Sources
Jon guided me to his find - a natural spring, gently bubbling in the newly created trench for the drains. The area was always the first to become a sodden mess in the Winter and now we know why.  This timely find means the clear water spring will be given a path, to gently meander down to the stream and eventually to the Kent Water.

Trench ready for a bed of 'pea shale' then drains
Ah, so that's what 'pea shale' is





Before a brief meet up with the NFU insurance man, regarding cover for the barn during the build, over a cup of proper 'builders' tea', Jon pointed out my mountain of gold - top soil - light, airy and aged beautifully. Perfect for my circa 2016 veggie garden.


Gold Dust

Over and out for today. Please do a sun dance for Day 4. In fact, everyday for the next 32 weeks.

Love
BarnGirl
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment